- Scientific Award of the European Society for Microcirculation (Abbott Microcirculation Award), 1986
- Award “Medizinische Grundlagenforschung” (Basic Medical Research), Smith-Kline-Beecham Forundation, 1992
- Finalist, American Heart Association Basic Science Prize, 1998
- Annual Gelber Lecturer, Baylor College of Medicine, 2000
- Kurt Anderson Lecture, University of Texas, Galveston, 2001
Awards Won by Trainees
- Travel Award of the European Society of Microcirculation to attend the World-Congress of Microcirculation in Sydney, August 2001.
- Travel Award of the Microcirculatory Society to attend the World-Congress of Microcirculation in Sydney, August 2001.
- Special Award from the German Society of Microcirculation and Vascular Biology. Annual meeting, Frankfurt, Germany 12/ 2001.
- 2006 European Society for Microcirculation Van Leeuwenhoek Award
- Society for Microcirculation Travel Award Aug-1996
- American Physiological Society Caroline tum Suden Award 1998
- UVA School of Medicine Michael J. Peach Outstanding Graduate Student Apr-1997
- Microcirculatory Society Curt A. Wiederhielm Award Mar-2001
- New Investigator Award from American Heart Association, May 11, 2001.
- Postdoctoral Fellowship Award from American Heart Association, July 1, 2001.
- Young Investigator Award from Cardiovascular Section of American Physiological Society, April 21, 2002.
- Scientist Development Award (SDG) from the AHA in 2004.
- AAI-Huang Foundation Trainee Achievement Award from the American Association of Immunologists, 2001
- NRSA Selectins and Integrins in Efficient Leukocyte Adhesion NIH 7/01/00-6/30/02
- Virginia Engineering Foundation Undergraduate Student Award 2003 (only one student in entire school)
- Finalist, undergraduate senior thesis competition 2003 (1 of 13)
- Winner of the 2003 undergraduate thesis research competition, May 1, 2003, for the presentation
- “CXCR6-positive T Cells Display Extralymphoid Homing”
- Honorable Mention, Michael Peach Award of the UVA School of Medicine 2003 (1 of 6)
- Human Frontier Science Program Long-Term Fellowship (www.hfsp.org), 2005-2008
- L. William Ballard, Jr. Fellowship, University of Virginia School of Engineering, 2003-2004
- Robert M. Berne Trainee Achievement Award 2005
- JDRF Postdoctoral Fellowship, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation for approximately total, awarded June 2004.
- Travel Award, JDRF for travel to the FOCIS meeting (held June 1-5 in San Francisco, CA), awarded 2/6/2006
- ADA Junior Faculty Grant 2011-2013
- One of the 5 finalists for the Junior Investigator Award for Women at the 2006 ATVB meeting. abstract: Dendritic Cells Preferentially Accumulate in Atherosclerotic Lesions
- American Heart Association Mid-Atlantic chapter postdoctoral fellowship "Role of monocyte subsets in mediating atherosclerosis", 2006-2008
- Benjamin W. Zweifach Graduate Student Travel Award
- Awarding Entity: Microcirculatory Society
- Abstract/Talk/Poster: Micro-PIV measurement of flow fields around adherent leukocytes
- Award received on 4/1/2006
- Invited talk at Asilomar IEEE conference 2007
- Robert M. Berne Trainee Achievement Award 2006
- Fresenius Award 2006
- AHA Postdoctoral Research Fellowship for two years from 07/2005 to 07/2007.
- AHA Scienist Development Grant "Acetylated LDL uptake alters B cell functions and homing into aorta of normal and atherosclerotic mice" 2007-2010
- Pfizer Global Research and Developmental Scholarship, Keystone Conference on the Cellular Biology of Atherosclerosis 2005
- AAI Junior Faculty Travel Award for the AAI 2007 Annual Meeting 2007
- University of Virginia Peach award 2006: finalist in Molecular Medicine
- Barry M. Goldwater Scholar, one of seven selected in Virginia, 2005-2006
- UVA Faculty Senate David A. Harrison III Undergraduate Research Award, 2005-2006
- UVA Lawrence and Ella Mae Quarles Scholarship, 2004-2005
- UVA SEAS Class of 1986 Scholarship, 2003-2004
- W. Sheldon Rodman Scholar, UVA Honors Engineering, 2002-2006
- Virginia Engineering Foundation Scholarship, 2002-2006
- APWU E.C. Hallbeck Memorial Scholarship, 2002-2006
- National Merit Scholar, 2002
- 2006 National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowship for his proposal "Biomimcry of leukocytes improves contrast enhanced ultrasound microbubble adhesion efficiency"
- NSF honorable mention for a similar proposal
- Finalist, 2006 Undergraduate Research and Design Symposium, UVA SEAS
- NSF graduate fellowship, 2007
- Finalist, 2006 Undergraduate Research and Design Symposium, UVA SEAS
- Finalist, 2006 Undergraduate Research Symposium (UVA)
- Virginia Engineering Foundation: Outstanding Student Award 2006 (only two per year)
- UVA Distinguished Majors Symposium in Chemistry 2006, finalist
- Merck Index Award for a high level of performance in Chemistry
- Graduated with Highest Distinction
- Young Investigator Award of the Gesellschaft für Mikrozirkulation 2006
- Microcirculatory Society's August Krogh Young Investigator Travel Award for his abstract entitled "Dual signaling pathways control LFA-1 mediated rolling and arrest on ICAM-1". Award presented during EB 07 in Washington DC
- Runner-up award of the Hermann-Rein-Preis. This award is made by the German Society for Microcirculation and recognizes Alexander's paper "Spleen tyrosine kinase Syk is necessary for E-selectin-induced αLß2 integrin-mediated rolling on intercellular adhesion molecule-1". Awarded October 6, 2007.
- 2008 AAI – Invitrogen Trainee Achievement Award, presented at EB 08, April 2008, San Diego.
- Emmy Noether Stipend of the German Research Council to pursue his studies after he returns to Germany. This is the most prestigious award the German government gives to young scientists and will give Alexander the freedom to pursue his research interests, 2008-2013.
- Research Award, Else Kröner-Fresenius-Stiftung 2008-2010
- 2010 DGAI Forschungsstipendium der Else Kroener Fresenius Stiftung
- Keystone Symposia scholarship for up to help defray travel and lodging expenses associated with her attendance at the upcoming meeting on The Macrophage: Homeostasis, Immunoregulation and Disease, Apr 11 - Apr 16, 2007, in Copper Mountain Resort in Copper Mountain, Colorado.
- Travel Grant from the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, University of Virginia, to attend the Human Plasma Proteomics meeting in Seattle, 2007
- Three year individual predoctoral fellowship from the American Heart Association
- 2008 student poster award for Bioinformatics at the HUPO (Human Proteome Organization)
- 2010 student travel award to HUPO (Human Proteome Organization).
- Zweifach Student Travel Award of the Microcirculatory Society 2008.
- Third place for Biological & Biomedical Sciences Paper Presentations at the Huskey Symposium, University of Virginia 2008.
Sibylle von Vietinghoff
- Two year postdoctoral stipend from the German Government (DFG)
- 2010 AAI Abstract Trainee Award
- Two year individual postdoctoral fellowship from the American Heart Association, 2009-2011
- 2010 Pappenheimer Postdoctoral Travel Award from the Microcirculatory Society
- Scientist Development Grant “Dual-color dynamic footprinting reveals mechanisms of leukocyte rolling and arrest during inflammation” from the AHA, 2011-2015
- Two year postdoctoral fellowship from the Japanese Government (JSPS)
- Postdoctoral fellowship by Jackstaedt-Stiftung, Germany
- Joshua Rychak PhD, Vice President of Research and Development of Targeson, was selected as one of The Daily Transcript’s San Diego Young Influentials 2010
Ekaterina “Katya” Koltsova
- Two year individual postdoctoral fellowship from the American Heart Association, 2010-2012
- AAI travel award 2011 for her abstract “Antigen Presentation By Dendritic Cells In The Aortic Wall Triggers T Helper Immune Responses”
- UCSD Immunology Training Grant 2011-2012
- Selected for oral presentation at Integrin Gordon Conference, May 2011
- Stipend from UCSD Interfaces Graduate Program 2010-2011
- Stipend from UCSD NHLBI Training Grant on Integrative Bioengineering of Heart, Vessels and Blood 2011-12
- Two year individual predoctoral fellowship from the American Heart Association, 2011-2013 “A novel system for in vivo imaging the effect of PF4 on Leukocytes in Atherosclerosis”.
- Two year individual postdoctoral fellowship from the American Heart Association, 2011-2013 “The role of galectin-3 binding protein in atherosclerosis”
La Jolla Institute for Allergy & Immunology
Division of Inflammation Biology
9420 Athena Circle
La Jolla, CA 92037
phone (858) 752-6661
fax (858) 752-6986